Check the travel conditions before you set out. Click here to find out about local roadworks (current and planned), congestion, incidents and traffic speeds.
For many of us, car ownership remains a necessary and mainly beneficial fact of life. But the costs add up when you take into account purchase, maintenance, tax, MOT, insurance and congestion. Nonetheless there are a number of ways in which we can all save money and reduce our environmental impacts:
Reducing the number of car trips we make:
- Working from home more often and choosing home delivery options for shopping reduces fuel consumption and wear & tear.
- Many short local journeys can be made more quickly, healthily and reliably on foot or bike.
- Many people enjoy travelling by bus or train to let people read or relax.
- Combining journeys, e.g. stopping at the supermarket on the way home from work.
Making car journeys more efficient:
- Considering fuel type and consumption when replacing your car.
- Driving efficiently to reduce fuel usage and emissions (e.g. the most efficient speed is 45-50mph).
- Car sharing - fill the empty seats and share the costs of driving!
- For more useful information on eco driving open the link.
Electric Car Charging Points
Electric vehicle (EV) charging is an important aspect of EV ownership. With power rating, connector type, cabling requirements and vehicle specification to consider, Zap-Map has created a series of step-by-step guides that cover the key issues related to EV charging. Please visit the Zap-Map website for guides for electric vehicle charging networks and also find out where in the Borough the electric charge points are located.